Funky Format Tuesday Tournaments

• Funky Format Tuesday Tournaments

***Fair warning, this is still somewhat of a test run***

I recently ran a brief twitter poll to see what custom formats people were most interested in. I've personally wanted these to be something that people more actively participate in and it often becomes a conversation topic for me. I've been thinking about how to get this going for awhile now and after recently gaining early access to the new replay feature I might have the tools I need to make it worthwhile. I'm still fleshing everything out so if you have any feedback / suggestions feel free to private message me with your ideas.

Format: Constructed - Immortal - Commons & Uncommons only
    When: Tuesday nights 8pm Central (UTC -5) ***It will not be every tuesday night from the start, going to start off piecemeal and see what is sustainable for me***
    Tournament structure: Single Elim
    Max players: 16 (have plans to increase this once I've gotten the kinks worked out)
    --In the future I will reserve 2 spots for players that are regular content creators in the community. If you are one and are interested in playing make a note of that. You don't need to create anything related to this, I just wanted to be able to loop some folks in and give them something fun to do.
    --I will likely also reserve one spot for the winner of the previous tournament if they are interested in playing.

How to sign up: [click the link below]
    6/13 8pm Central: challonge.com/tournaments/signup/b4f57XgBkJ

I will be streaming for the full duration of the tournament, if any issues arise or if you have any questions that should be your first point of contact: twitch.tv/funktionfails

Prizes assuming 16 players: [hopefully prizes aren't the primary reason you're wanting to play]
    1 win - 1 Scars booster
    2 wins - 1 Scars booster + 1 Herofall booster
    3 wins - Evo Code
    4 wins - ???

By signing up for this tournament you acknowledge that I will likely be using the replays to create some sort of content.

F.A.Q.
    What are the goals of this? - To incentivize people to participate in custom formats. To create a tournament with a low barrier to entry in terms of both collection size & time commitment.
    Why single elim, single elim is terrible? - This will keep it much more manageable for me. I'm trying to make sure this is something relatively feasible for me.
    What if I don't want you to use the replays of my matches? - Don't sign up. Sorry.
    What if my opponent ran cards that are not supposed to be legal in the tournament? - I will be streaming during the time this takes place, contact me and I can watch the replay before taking action. Players will likely be disqualified from the tournament and forfeit any prizes if this is found to be the case.
    Why Tuesday's at that time, that doesn't work for me? - It's when I am most likely to have free time.
    How can I contribute prize support? - Contact me, I'm easy to get a hold of.
    How else can I help out? - Currently I'm going to just be running this by myself to make sure it is something that I have enough time for. Once things have settled in I would love to have some logistical support.

Other notes:
    -I'm likely to change the custom format every so often
    -Help me come up with a name for this series
    -It is possible that I don't feel like I'm personally getting much out of hosting these despite it being fairly time consuming. It isn't much I might eventually require people to be following me on twitch or something to enter... we'll see though when the time comes.
    -There are a couple other ways of handling sign-ups etc if folks have suggestions directly related to that definitely let me know.
    -It is possible (and likely) that changes to the recently added replay tool may make it impossible for me to continue this series.

The post was edited 10 times, last by Funktion ().

• I'm signed up! I have a ton of decks already made for this... choosing 1 will be hard. I hope you get the interest needed to run it!

On tournament names, we have the "Clash," "Showdown," and sometimes "Plunder." We do not have a "Frenzy"

So let me be the first to suggest the "Funky Format Frenzy by Funktion" or F4, for short.

This tournament falls right when I'll be doing my Tuesday night HEXercise stream... Enjoy watching me play the tournament from a treadmill! (That's going to be a loooong walk if I keep winning!)

EDIT - Would it be work talking to Hex Ent about the amount of effort it takes to make a custom queue in client? For a format like this, can they mass ban rares and legendaries from a tournament queue as easily as we can filter them out in the deck editor, or is it a lot more complicated that that? Getting a queue would make it easier on you from a management end - and provide a venue where you know replays are being stored. Queue could be w/o prizes attached to it, and that's still sent after.
    Watch Dungeon Masters of Entrath - The HEX Gameshow! Wednesday 8pm EST
    I am ThrawnOmega on Xbox Live, Twitter, Steam, and Twitch.
    Forum Avatar by @tfa_96 on Twitter.
  • Yay! I love this format. If I'm available that day I'll sign-up :)
    One thing:
    When I ran the ecoleague, the main issue I had was that 90% of the deckd were yotul or mcbombus. With two new sets things might have changed for yotul, but I think McB is still pretty powerful. Just a note for further tournaments.
    Twitter: @Plotynus

ZonaHex.com - Un sitio en español sobre Hex! / A spanish site about Hex.
  • I want to participate. What time will it be in Greece? 8am? Also,can I sign up with my Hex account? Cause I tried to sing up with my FB,but then thought if it's possible to sing up with HEX so I haven't yet signed up for the tournament
    The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
  • Plotynus wrote:

Yay! I love this format. If I'm available that day I'll sign-up :)
    One thing:
    When I ran the ecoleague, the main issue I had was that 90% of the deckd were yotul or mcbombus. With two new sets things might have changed for yotul, but I think McB is still pretty powerful. Just a note for further tournaments.
    I doubt anything has changed. If anything mcbombus is probably stronger now that you have options like mama yeti, warpsteel shardsworn, and consult the talon.
  • Angmar wrote:

Plotynus wrote:

Yay! I love this format. If I'm available that day I'll sign-up :)
    One thing:
    I doubt anything has changed. If anything mcbombus is probably stronger now that you have options like mama yeti, warpsteel shardsworn, and consult the talon.
    Certain champions or cards could be banned, of course. That seems unnecessary at this point, but the option would be there for the future.

Conscript cards also would be worth talking about because they can generate rares and legendaries. There were a lot of conscript cards in the rock games on Pentachills' stream recently.
  • Yasi wrote:

I'll sign up once we get 15 players signed.

Maybe have a buffer of 19 or so players in case of no show?

I also think a lot of newer players don't use this forums.
    Yeah having a buffer would be great, I wanna see what exactly Challonge lets me do once it is full etc. New players definitely don't use the forums a ton, but there's not too many other options when I have to (currently) create the brackets and stuff myself.
  • @Vroengard yes man, indeed I messed the time conversion. Thanks a bunch for the tip. I lol'd with your post though :) . I have a day off on Wednesday so I thought I could make it,but 4am...? @Funktion I am terribly sorry. You can find my letter of resignation in your inbox, along with my sincere apologies. :)
    The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
  • Funktion wrote:

Yasi wrote:

Yeah having a buffer would be great, I wanna see what exactly Challonge lets me do once it is full etc. New players definitely don't use the forums a ton, but there's not too many other options when I have to (currently) create the brackets and stuff myself.
    Just suggestion, to do not limit amount of players, you should create pods, 16 players per each and they can play in same time, for example if there will be 64 players that would liek to play, create 4x 16 players pod, they can play separetly
  • DraXor wrote:

Funktion wrote:

Yasi wrote:

Just suggestion, to do not limit amount of players, you should create pods, 16 players per each and they can play in same time, for example if there will be 64 players that would liek to play, create 4x 16 players pod, they can play separetly
    The point of it being only 16 players isn't to exclude people but rather to cut down on the time and effort this takes so that it is sustainable. What you're suggesting would not currently be sustainable for me. Also, there are only 6 people currently signed up so opening it up to 64 players is also totally unnecessary.
  • Best of 3 with reserves, I should've probably spelled that out more. Players will use the challenge feature to play their matches against one another.

Edit: If necessary I can spell out all the minutiae in the morning but wanted to leave it as simple as possible for people here. What I was planning to do was go over any instructions etc like ~15 min or so leading up to the tournament in the twitch stream.
  • Alrighty, gonna go ahead and try to make this happen for the rest of the month. Challonge pages for each tournament are live & I have updated the OP to reflect that.

A few notes after this past event for those interested:
    -The tournament itself went very smoothly. On my end I could use some more practice on more rapidly finding the games / matches so that I can spend more time on creating an engaging stream as well and getting people excited for the format(s).
    -Pentachills was the champion of the first Frenzy tournament! Grats to him.
    -Challonge does have waitlist functionality if the tournament happens to fill up. We had exactly 16 players this week so I'm a little reluctant to expand the participation size this early on.
    -I do still intend to get around to making a video of the finals & semifinals matches as well as some highlights from earlier in the tournament. This process is fairly time consuming however and this has been and will continue to be a fairly busy week for me.

Thanks to everyone that participated and watched! As always feel free to contact me if you have any feedback or whatnot.

Edit: Forgot to mention a few more notes & trivia bits...
    -The Finals consisted of two McBombus lists
    -Conscript and dreadlings each also made strong appearances
    -Going to run another couple tournaments at the very least before I/we decide on whether conscript thematically breaks the format or whether any other actual balance related adjustments need to be made.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Funktion ().