More PVE content please! (RE Cory's podcast comment)

• Portensio wrote:

My god how things changed in 4 years.

quote from the forum post of that article

Dungeons have a minimum level to enter. We unlock a set of dungeons for each "tier" you reach (for example, when you hit level 20, we unlock a few dungeons, then when you reach level 25, a few more are unlocked, etc.) Once you meet the minimum level requirement, you can run it as many times as you want.

Even when you're at max level, you won't be able to ROFL-stomp a lower level dungeon like you could in a game like WoW. Because HEX is a card game, there is inherent variance to the cards you draw no matter what your level is. Hopefully that keeps the dungeon experience challenging and filled with tension even when you are max level.

At launch, we are using the phrases "dungeon" for a single-player experience and "raid" for a multi-player 3v1 experience. I love the idea of a multi-player version of the Orc Arena, this is something we should look at implementing post-launch.
      I firmly believe that they had little to no idea how pve would actually work during the kickstarter and awhile thereafter. Nothing was likely coded and just a paper idea. Which of course is one reason we have problems getting players.
    • Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Honestly if their tools are getting as good as it seems they could cut a massive headache for them self and just have like a contest every 1-2 months where players design new opponents for frostring and hex picks one that is viable and they find clever/good/interesting this would be a full submit decklist champion power passives the works. Now all the need to do is inputt the champion into the game which i don't mean to sound like its completely trivial but im sure most people who work with these kind of things know design and concept take a lot more time than coding once the framework is done. Possibly allow people to suggest equipment ideas for cards based on a list from hex that they haven't pinned down yet so people have a reason to want to beat the new encounter as well.

This would also let people somewhat possibly propose solutions to what they see as an issue be it speed farming decks aggro or what will you.
      I had thought about that, but it might take more time to test and balance power levels than just to make the deck in the first place.
      Building on that idea, what if the best Keep(s) each season became FRA enemies? For example, if my Keep was determined to be the best my Shin'hare Mage Masabune would start showing up in the arena as either a new enemy, a boss, or a rare encounter depending on it's overall power level.
      My point is that testing and balance shouldn't be part of the equation.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Honestly if their tools are getting as good as it seems they could cut a massive headache for them self and just have like a contest every 1-2 months where players design new opponents for frostring and hex picks one that is viable and they find clever/good/interesting this would be a full submit decklist champion power passives the works. Now all the need to do is inputt the champion into the game which i don't mean to sound like its completely trivial but im sure most people who work with these kind of things know design and concept take a lot more time than coding once the framework is done. Possibly allow people to suggest equipment ideas for cards based on a list from hex that they haven't pinned down yet so people have a reason to want to beat the new encounter as well.

This would also let people somewhat possibly propose solutions to what they see as an issue be it speed farming decks aggro or what will you.
      I had thought about that, but it might take more time to test and balance power levels than just to make the deck in the first place.Building on that idea, what if the best Keep(s) each season became FRA enemies? For example, if my Keep was determined to be the best my Shin'hare Mage Masabune would start showing up in the arena as either a new enemy, a boss, or a rare encounter depending on it's overall power level.
      I don't really like the idea of any gaming company not including testing or balance in their equations...
    • Sukebe wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

I had thought about that, but it might take more time to test and balance power levels than just to make the deck in the first place.Building on that idea, what if the best Keep(s) each season became FRA enemies? For example, if my Keep was determined to be the best my Shin'hare Mage Masabune would start showing up in the arena as either a new enemy, a boss, or a rare encounter depending on it's overall power level.
      I don't really like the idea of any gaming company not including testing or balance in their equations...
      You make it sound like it would be impossible to glance at an instant and besides that its pve what exactly is the issue you expect to come from not extensively testing a single encounter?
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Sukebe wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

You make it sound like it would be impossible to glance at an instant and besides that its pve what exactly is the issue you expect to come from not extensively testing a single encounter?
      When people and companies think they can glance at something and know if it is a balanced and fun encounter is when their quality tends to go down drastically. Even pve encounters need to be balanced to some degree in order for them to be fun.

As for testing, if they have any new charge powers or passives those still need to be tested to ensure they work as planned under many different circumstances. nothing in games can be completely untested and not go through quality control.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree i think they could literally make an encounter as broken as possible beyond you lose the game this can't be countered round 1 and some people would enjoy that challenge.
      I have no doubt that some people would. Heck, I would likely enjoy some very tough encounters myself. The question to ask would be "would enough people enjoy this to make it worth our time". Even if it doesn't take very much time to do this they would still need a certain increase in players and their engagement with the game to make worth not working on something else.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

That way lies madness.

And really bad games.
    • At this point I would *almost* be happy if they would jest add a quest or two to the existing content... at least that way I would know they were doing SOMETHING besides adding more $$$/platinum costin stuffs.

Guess it all depends on if their developer "toolkit" is not from the stoneage. (I remember makin my own quests in City of heroes,it took me about 30 minutes to an hour to make something that was longer than ANY of the existing content in Hex...)

I think that was about a decade ago...surely tools have improved since then...

P.S.
      Hey devs, where's mah friggin Dragon Blood starter from 3 years ago???

Can't be to hard to make em since I've bought 2 others since then !
    • Ouroboros wrote:

P.S.

It was actually said its coming with Set 7 with a New urunaz.

The starter will also include a bunch of extra stuff to make up for it being late (including animated sleeves, the AAA urunaz , a merc and other stuff that will make it Worth it. )

Hex has never dissapointed in giving extra for all the KS stuff. they are just late in delivering PVE content. Sadly.
    • Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

That way lies madness.
      And really bad games.
      I really don't get this mentality what piece of the fabric of reality do you suspect will be shredded by a single encounter that isn't intensely tuned? The point that it might not be worth their effort and that it will take some testing by someone pressumably you know the group assembled by hex from the playerbase for testing is obvious to hammer out bugs. But you make it sound like every single encounter needs 3 weeks of intense rnd testing or its going to ruin the game is absurd.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

That way lies madness.And really bad games.
      I really don't get this mentality what piece of the fabric of reality do you suspect will be shredded by a single encounter that isn't intensely tuned? The point that it might not be worth their effort and that it will take some testing by someone pressumably you know the group assembled by hex from the playerbase for testing is obvious to hammer out bugs. But you make it sound like every single encounter needs 3 weeks of intense rnd testing or its going to ruin the game is absurd.
      You literally said that they shouldn't test or balance the encounter!

Do I need to start listing all the AI bugs in FRA that would lock up the game? Or spend two minutes googling to find hundreds of examples of MMO fights made more difficult to prevent economic collapse? Or link to some Wiktor complaint threads, a fight that was actually tested and tuned?

Besides, I can throw together a fairly coherent deck in under 30 minutes. Running a contest takes far, far longer than that.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Blizzard released a raid without having a PTR to test it once. Yes, once. In its entire history with WoW. They did it once.

The raid was literally impossible to finish due to a combination of missed bugs, numerous balance faults, and countless server crashes caused by poorly handled code.

It is heralded as one of their greatest mistakes in managing WoW.

Testing is EXTREMELY important. Tuning is extremely important.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Someone isn't an engineer. A system can usually handle a few poorly designed elements. So you can frequently get away with a shortcut.

And then you take a few more shortcuts. Or miss something else. That's how buildings collapse.

You yourself said this would be a recurring contest every 1-2 months. In a few years the new fights would outnumber the old fights and the stability of the existing system becomes completely irrelevant.
    • That's fair enough i suppose my idea wasn't for this to go on to the point where it would ever get close to outnumber the original content and that was poorly expressed. I was thinking and not expressing properly that this should be a total of 5 max in the end with the possibility of making it a new tier where you encounter 1 of them at the end of a perfect run.
    • Portensio wrote:

Ouroboros wrote:

P.S.

It was actually said its coming with Set 7 with a New urunaz.
      The starter will also include a bunch of extra stuff to make up for it being late (including animated sleeves, the AAA urunaz , a merc and other stuff that will make it Worth it. )

Hex has never dissapointed in giving extra for all the KS stuff. they are just late in delivering PVE content. Sadly.

Looks like Imma still waiting, it was not in the patch notes I think, and after logging in after Frostheart (Set 7) patch Imma not seeing it in ma inventory...
    • Ouroboros wrote:

Portensio wrote:

Ouroboros wrote:

P.S.

It was actually said its coming with Set 7 with a New urunaz.The starter will also include a bunch of extra stuff to make up for it being late (including animated sleeves, the AAA urunaz , a merc and other stuff that will make it Worth it. )

Looks like Imma still waiting, it was not in the patch notes I think, and after logging in after Frostheart (Set 7) patch Imma not seeing it in ma inventory...

I would not be suprised if they are manually dispatched like the AA's