More PVE content please! (RE Cory's podcast comment)

• In order for Hex to grow, it needs solid pve that is mmo like. How many players we get from pvp will still increase, but it is not likely to start skyrocketing for no reason. A extra dungeon every four months really does little to nothing to make the pve experience more deep. Resources are much better spent working on strongholds, which hopefully enable some type of end game.
    • Vroengard wrote:

You can't say that PvE players spend as much as PvP players with a straight face.

I'd be hard pressed to say they even spend half as much.
      I would say that PVE players do not spend as much as PVP players.

BUT

If Hex had a full fledge MMO (with all features out already) I would definetlly say that PVE players spend more than PVP. But we're just not there yet.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Portensio ().

• Ok, thought something was awry there..

Sure, when everything is out and in order, if it's become more difficult to just grind for everything (because a dedicated PvE player is a far more formidable grinder than a PvP player laddering), then we may see PvE income rivaling PvP, but it's so far in the future that I can't imagine how that'd be. I do recognise that a PvE player in a card game could be crazy enough to spend a considerable amount of money even when playing alone.
    • Hex isn't going earn jack with people just farming with the same ranger decks. And there is no reason buy anything once they have their ranger deck. Nerfing the ranger decks won't fix anything because farm decks would just go back to R aggro and situation would be the same. The PvE's structure has to be redone so it's rewarding to play other things besides a few speed farming decks. Until that is fixed there is very little to offer PvE-only player that won't only hinder their gold farming. For example the collector decks. Sure they can buy them to support Hex, but they are hard-pressed to justify buying cards that are "unplayable" in PvE. You could sell a Vennen Ranger Collector's Deck. But only once. That's a very narrow band to sell in.
    • Sinkhole wrote:

Hex isn't going earn jack with people just farming with the same ranger decks. And there is no reason buy anything once they have their ranger deck. Nerfing the ranger decks won't fix anything because farm decks would just go back to R aggro and situation would be the same. The PvE's structure has to be redone so it's rewarding to play other things besides a few speed farming decks. Until that is fixed there is very little to offer PvE-only player that won't only hinder their gold farming. For example the collector decks. Sure they can buy them to support Hex, but they are hard-pressed to justify buying cards that are "unplayable" in PvE. You could sell a Vennen Ranger Collector's Deck. But only once. That's a very narrow band to sell in.
      The problem is two-fold...

One: There are decks that are so strong they can win extremely fast without caring about their opponents at all.(Ranger, Crowd Roars, Slaughtergears, etc.)
      Two: The structure rewards speed so heavily.

It doesn't matter if you fix the second problem if the first is still an issue. You need to make it so that there aren't so many decks that can just win against any opponent with no concern for what the opponent is doing AND make it so that something other than simply speed matters. Both are equally important.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • That's 'a' benchmark, due to how it was shared. Not "The" benchmark.

If people were to pay for content in PvE, it would not necessarily be decks with a focus on destroying content.
      It might be for content, or for variety, or for exclusivity.
      Perhaps a new deck comes with an exclusive mercenary (why not?), or exclusive PvE cards?
      Maybe the signature deck focuses on synergy, utilizing more difficult to obtain PvE cards (Juurdin plant based Shaylusia comes to mind).
      It's not always about going the fastest, and showcasing that in any designed signature deck would really take away from what makes HEX themes and equipment, and playstyle decks unique in the PvE space.
    • Two: The structure rewards speed so heavily.

Man i agree with you allot but this a major issue and why i don't play control decks after awhile now. I play a dungeon maybe twice for fun with a control deck, compared too (let's say) 12 times as many agro (whatever the form).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Khaelen ().

• Honestly if their tools are getting as good as it seems they could cut a massive headache for them self and just have like a contest every 1-2 months where players design new opponents for frostring and hex picks one that is viable and they find clever/good/interesting this would be a full submit decklist champion power passives the works. Now all the need to do is inputt the champion into the game which i don't mean to sound like its completely trivial but im sure most people who work with these kind of things know design and concept take a lot more time than coding once the framework is done. Possibly allow people to suggest equipment ideas for cards based on a list from hex that they haven't pinned down yet so people have a reason to want to beat the new encounter as well.

This would also let people somewhat possibly propose solutions to what they see as an issue be it speed farming decks aggro or what will you.
    • Now THAT is a fun idea. It would take someone time to review the submissions in addition to coding in the champ power (which will likely be at least partially new code), but they wouldn't have to actually add any new cards or equipment to make this idea work (though it would be helpful).
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Honestly if their tools are getting as good as it seems they could cut a massive headache for them self and just have like a contest every 1-2 months where players design new opponents for frostring and hex picks one that is viable and they find clever/good/interesting this would be a full submit decklist champion power passives the works. Now all the need to do is inputt the champion into the game which i don't mean to sound like its completely trivial but im sure most people who work with these kind of things know design and concept take a lot more time than coding once the framework is done. Possibly allow people to suggest equipment ideas for cards based on a list from hex that they haven't pinned down yet so people have a reason to want to beat the new encounter as well.

This would also let people somewhat possibly propose solutions to what they see as an issue be it speed farming decks aggro or what will you.
      I love this idea, and have been hoping for some advancement to the Frost Ring Arena for a while. Add more tiers along with those unique opponents? This would make it more of a gauntlet that maybe not everyone would be able to finish, but open up a chance at another sleeve, and more treasure from a higher tier.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WoWfIsH ().

• There must be many minor things to prevent the aggrodeck-only in PVE, if is a problem. Now we have random merc nodes in dungeons, we could have random challenge nodes, like if you defeat this node later than 10th turn, or win by not direct damage, or win without troops, whatever, you could have variety, and if you dont have enough cards to complete the challenge, it would be an inspiration too, to collect more cards to complete all of the challengs. There could be daily\weekly quests too, to complete a dungeon with a pure blue deck, with a creatureless deck, etc... There must many things like this what you can figure out without drastic change in the system, or recalibrate the power of the whole game \ all of the cards.
    • I would create style points. Each style point you collect is +1% exp/gold/loot at the end of the game. Players gain style point by performing stylish moves like "Destroy 10 troops is 1 turn." "Take 3 turns in a row" "Attack with 5 troops with flight at once" "win with less than 5 hp" "Overkill OP by 1000 damage" "interrupt 3 OP cards". The more difficult the stylish move is the more style points you get for it. They would amount to additional deck building challenge for non-speed farm decks and move them closer to reward parity with speed farm decks. And they wouldn't require a redo of existing content.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Honestly if their tools are getting as good as it seems they could cut a massive headache for them self and just have like a contest every 1-2 months where players design new opponents for frostring and hex picks one that is viable and they find clever/good/interesting this would be a full submit decklist champion power passives the works. Now all the need to do is inputt the champion into the game which i don't mean to sound like its completely trivial but im sure most people who work with these kind of things know design and concept take a lot more time than coding once the framework is done. Possibly allow people to suggest equipment ideas for cards based on a list from hex that they haven't pinned down yet so people have a reason to want to beat the new encounter as well.

I had thought about that, but it might take more time to test and balance power levels than just to make the deck in the first place.

Building on that idea, what if the best Keep(s) each season became FRA enemies? For example, if my Keep was determined to be the best my Shin'hare Mage Masabune would start showing up in the arena as either a new enemy, a boss, or a rare encounter depending on it's overall power level.
    • Sinkhole wrote:

I would create style points. Each style point you collect is +1% exp/gold/loot at the end of the game. Players gain style point by performing stylish moves like "Destroy 10 troops is 1 turn." "Take 3 turns in a row" "Attack with 5 troops with flight at once" "win with less than 5 hp" "Overkill OP by 1000 damage" "interrupt 3 OP cards". The more difficult the stylish move is the more style points you get for it. They would amount to additional deck building challenge for non-speed farm decks and move them closer to reward parity with speed farm decks. And they wouldn't require a redo of existing content.
      You mean like this?
    • My god how things changed in 4 years.

quote from the forum post of that article

Dungeons have a minimum level to enter. We unlock a set of dungeons for each "tier" you reach (for example, when you hit level 20, we unlock a few dungeons, then when you reach level 25, a few more are unlocked, etc.) Once you meet the minimum level requirement, you can run it as many times as you want.

Even when you're at max level, you won't be able to ROFL-stomp a lower level dungeon like you could in a game like WoW. Because HEX is a card game, there is inherent variance to the cards you draw no matter what your level is. Hopefully that keeps the dungeon experience challenging and filled with tension even when you are max level.

At launch, we are using the phrases "dungeon" for a single-player experience and "raid" for a multi-player 3v1 experience. I love the idea of a multi-player version of the Orc Arena, this is something we should look at implementing post-launch.